A Symposium on Illustration and Motion
presented by the Illustration Program at Parsons The New School for Design
NOVEMBER 11, 2009, 7:00–10:00 P.M.
Free and Open to the Public
2 WEST 13TH STREET, NEW YORK, NY 10011
The New School Jazz Performance Space
Arnhold Hall, 55 West 13th Street, 5th floor, New York, NY
LAUREN REDNISS reveals a history of blind spots.
JODY ROSEN unveils The Knowledge of London taxi drivers.
JOEL SMITH maps the mind of Saul Steinberg.
RICHARD MCGUIRE screens Fears of the Dark and more.
Moderated by Lauren Redniss, assistant professor, Illustration Program, Parsons The New School for Design
RICHARD McGUIRE is an artist whose work has appeared in The New Yorker, the New York Times, McSweeney’s, Le Monde, and other publications. He is the founder and bass player of the punk-funk band Liquid Liquid. Currently a fellow at the New York Public Library’s Cullman Center for Scholars and Writers, McGuire is working on an illustrated book entitled HERE. His most recent animated film, Peurs du Noir, will be released on DVD this fall.
To give you a taste of what Richard is all about, here is a collection of links and visuals.
- Here is a short animated film Richard created called Micro Loup–it is about a microscopic wolf!
- Richard’s homepage: http://www.richard-mcguire.com
- A film excerpt: http://www.richard-mcguire.com/fears.html
- Other work, posters, NYer covers, etc: http://www.primalinea.com/mcguire/
- Interview with Steven Heller: http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm/whos-afraid-of-noir-an-interview-with-richard-mcguire
- Toys: http://daddytypes.com/2006/12/29/the_toys_of_artist_richard_mcguire_a_dt_interview.php
- Liquid Liquid clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70wxKJMCRHQ&feature=related
[Image from: Peur(s) du noir, a film by : Blutch, C. Burns, M. Caillou, P. di Sciullo, L. Mattotti, R. McGuire // Production: Prima Linea Productions]
This symposium is presented with support from…