Alexia Papvasilakis

• Alexia Papvasilakis

• Magnetic Homesickness

• A series of paintings within the frame of a folding house which depicts specific rooms through the lenses of nostalgia.

• .

Magnetic Homesickness was conceived in an attempt to explore the relationship between time, space, and nostalgia (Greek for homesickness). In a year spent at home, I became acutely aware of the unique effect that each room has on the psyche and how it ages. Especially when it comes to experience as emotionally driven as nostalgia, imagination plays a huge role in this. By sending out questionnaires, interviewing neighbors, exploring the history of my hometown, and reflecting on memories of my own; I gathered information to create site and sense specific scenes. While the atmosphere of each room ultimately depends on the people who occupy them, the house itself becomes an active character in their story. I hope that each time you unfold this house, you find something new in the composition and come up with a story of your own. I know that’s what I’ve been doing while making this. Like magnets, objects of memory can attract or repel each other; it all depends on where they are oriented.

Website: alexiapapavasilakis.com

Instagram: @ale.x.art

Webpage for Thesis: Magnetic Homesickness