Seb Hanlon

• Seb Hanlon

• On The Square

• A graphic narrative told through a virtual gallery walk. Placed in a room, you are made to journey through a 3D maze where the floors have eyes, the walls are filled with demons, and everyone has something to tell you

• .

Inspired by every day intrusive thoughts, ON THE SQUARE began as a vague concept for a short animation about inner-demons. The text in OTS comes from a poem by the same name I’d written for the animations done during quarantine. Over time, I began taking the animations of each demon, naming them, and casting them lines from the poem. During a particular critique in December, I was made aware of a program called ArtSteps. I was determined to utilize a virtual space for viewers to walk through as a means of narrative, instead of a compilation of each individual animation I’d done. 

ON THE SQUARE was aesthetically inspired from the video games Undertale, Hylics, and Pokemon. I always wanted to have this play out like a video game, where the characters you meet come together to tell a bigger story. You have the option to listen to each character, or simply walk past.

There is an advisory to disturbing imagery, blood, and self harm. Otherwise, this exhibit is intended for a mature audience. 

My name is Sebastian Vio Hanlon, and I’ve been making art for as long as I’ve been able to hold a pen. I had the opportunity to take a multitude of art classes before coming to Parsons, and it’s been a privilege to attend this school. My main passions are animation and storyboarding, and sometime in the future, I’d like to build a solid animation portfolio. My work has always been a means of emotional communication; I enjoy focusing on darker subject matter, and creating art that reflects personal conflict helps me to grow as both an artist, and a person.   

I chose the theme of “coming back to old vices” as a reflection of the months of social and physical isolation. I felt like every terrible thing I’d done to myself in the past was slowly creeping up on me, coming back to remind me what it feels like to indulge in self harm, drugs, and reckless behavior: Sharp Horse alludes to self harm tools, Eyes to general anxiety, and so on. 

It’s really hard to imagine myself in 5 years. That’s 2026, which already feels so science fiction. In 2021, I’m living with my partner and two cats, and I hope to be there still in 2026. Careerwise, I want to know lots and lots of people, not just in the industry, but generally being more of a socialite and networking through friends, coworkers, and other figures in my life. I want to be immersed in the animation industry, and I hope my imagination stays strong in the coming years. 

Website: SEBVIO.COM 

Instagram: Sebastian_Vio