Alyssa Markowski

• Alyssa Markowski

• People at Windows and Other Longings

• A set of five books reflecting upon the pandemic especially on the themes of longing, human connection, and isolation.

• .

My thesis takes the form of a collection of 5 books gathered together inside an envelope. The envelope will act as a unifying cover for the books as well as something that breaks down the barrier between artist and viewer. An envelope makes the work more personal, it is used to send someone something, often a letter. It also speaks to the distance between us all during the pandemic. A letter is a way to reach out to people who you can’t be with in-person at the moment.

All the books revolve around living through the pandemic as well as the themes of longing, touch, human connection, and isolation. Living through a pandemic is trying beyond words. Through these books, I hope to express some of the indescribable feelings of these times. I really wanted to capture the pandemic through my eyes and the specific feelings, emotions, and everyday activities I’ve experienced during this time. The books themselves also act as a way to break down the barrier between artist and viewer. The books range in size but can all be handheld. There is an aspect of touch that wouldn’t be there if the project was meant for a gallery wall. They are meant to be personal. When you read a book you hold it in your hands and you have a moment where there is just yourself and the art, that moment is important to the work.

Website: alymarkz.wixsite.com/illustration

Instagram: @weirdlilguys

Twitter: @AlyMarkzArt

Vimeo: alymarkowski