Gina Beneduci

• Gina Beneduci

• The 201

• Leela, Bee, and Squid - and their experiences and life growing up in suburban New Jersey during the early 2000s - the heyday of emo and post-hardcore music and culture.

• .

While there are many elements that go into the work I make, the most significant aspect is storytelling — drawing and designing with the intent to tell a story. Whether it is through a full-on character design or a single prop like a skateboard, I constantly ask myself, “What is the story behind this character, environment, or object, and how can I make that story clear to viewers through my designs?” To tell this story I am creating a visual development guide, which includes character, background, and prop designs, and depicts moods, lighting setups, and color palettes as if this were to be made into an animated film or show. All of these works are designed with the intent of telling a story about these characters and their personalities through their clothing, furniture, gestures, and so on.

Many elements of “The 201” are influenced by my hometown, the surrounding areas, and the experiences of my own teenage and college years spent going to sweaty punk shows with friends, followed by countless midnight diner stops in small towns. The story itself does not consist necessarily of a conflict and resolution with a beginning, middle, and end, but instead focuses more on the daily social and personal experiences of my characters; It is more focused on the reminiscence of the era and the nature of punk and emo culture during the early 2000s, following the genre’s golden age during the 90s, where inspiration has also been drawn.

Website: ginabene.myportfolio.com

Instagram: @gina_bene

Twitter: @gina_bene