Arturo Madrazo Miranda

• Arturo Madrazo Miranda

• Ximena, Veli Mar y Ana Fernanda

• A triptych of large scale, hand-cut, stencils that explores the ingrained notion that nationality correlates directly to physical appearance.

• Although ranging in style and medium, my work tends to revolve around my home country. As a Mexican-born illustrator, I often draw inspiration from prehispanic themes, imagery and especially folktales. For my thesis however, I was more interested in exploring the notion that nationality somehow correlates directly to physical appearance.

The triptych, made from large scale, hand-cut, stencils (approx. 20”x30”), illustrates three of my friends who, like myself, are often told they don’t “look” Mexican. To debunk this, I dressed them up in traditional blouses and headpieces which, in turn, represent the stereotypical representation of a Mexican. The monochromatic tones pay tribute to three of the most representative colors found in Mexico, “azul rey,” “amarillo,” and “rosa mexicano.”

Without a doubt color is one of the foundations of our culture, not only is it a core in textiles but also food, neighbourhoods and crafts. This in turn, further emphasizes the blend between their portrait and their home country. I recreated their faces in fragmented patterns in order to highlight that they are undeniably made up of their “Mexicaness.” They are, like myself, a product of their culture and although stereotypical, the traditional elements are essential to their identity. Ultimately, the aim for the project is not to dismiss their Mexican side, on the contrary, it is to demonstrate that they are an embodiment of it and, although seemingly against popular belief, their “mexicaness” is not based on their physical appearance but rather their values, customs and cultural upbringing.