Katherine Yang

• Katherine Yang

• 4 am

• My Insomnia in Pictures

• I often think a lot, especially when it is late at night.  I have been experiencing this since my childhood, and it would all start with sudden thoughts just before bedtime :

— who am I ?

— why do I exist ?

— where is this voice in my head coming from ?

I could not find a proper wart from withinay to explain this phenomenon to my parents, much less finding answers to them.  As I grew older, these thoughts kept on snowballing, and eventually turned into a never-ending vicious cycle.

Welcome to the world of Insomnia.

The later I stayed up at night, the wilder my thoughts became.  All these sleepless nights have somehow shaped my brain to see the surroundings the way I see today, as I truly believe people have racing thoughts at night at least once in their lifetime – the kind that are the most genuine and unrefined.

This has motivated me to document these thoughts and questions through my work – colors, images, and without words – to give the audience a virtual tour of the inside of my head at 4am.  I believe that similar to many things in our lives, these thoughts and questions may not be explained.  They are just meant for us to explore, to interpret, to appreciate, and to pursue what we believe, because we should be the ones who define our lives, and for that, is what makes us special.

Instagram: @katherine_kreates