Kit Frances

• Kit Frances

• Rotting

• My thesis project “Rotting” is a book of poems and images showing what it is like to be in the midst of an eating disorder.

• For my thesis I decided to dissect the very personal topic of eating disorders. I have struggled with my eating disorder for ten years and was eventually diagnosed with Anorexia Nervosa. I have also met many other people living with eating disorders and it has become a very important subject for me.
    In the past I have used writing as a coping mechanism for this disorder, so I wanted to incorporate it into this project. I used poems I have written to create a book that reflects the mental struggles and thoughts of someone with an eating disorder. Images made from pen and watercolor illustrate the book and bring visual depth to the words.
    With this project I hoped to achieve understanding from people who are not familiar with eating disorders, or who have been unable to grasp what someone with an eating disorder experiences. I wanted to show the reality of not just my own eating disorder, but also the disease in general as well, for it affects the lives of so many. In addition, I also hoped that this book would show others with eating disorders that they are not alone with it. Eating disorders are extremely isolating, so it is comforting to know that you are not alone and that there is someone else who can understand what you are going through.