PLEASE NOTE: Candidates MUST be full-time undergraduate (12 credits) students in their junior or senior year or full-time graduate students (6 credits) at a NEW YORK BASED COLLEGE or UNIVERSITY. Candidates must be able to work at least 20 hours/week during the semester (during regular business hours) and up to 35 hours/week during summer and winter breaks.
The New York Transit Museum seeks a dynamic, motivated college or graduate student interested in journalism, marketing and public relations to join our press and marketing team. Excellent writing skills are essential and related past work experience is a plus. This individual will work under the supervision of the Transit Museum’s Press & Marketing Strategist and Development Director. This position offers the right candidate significant responsibility and will translate into extensive job skills.
Time Frame: This is NOT a summer-only internship. Position is available in early May, extending through fall 2017 and spring 2018, with opportunities to continue employment.
Hours: Student may work 20 – 25 hours/week during semesters and up to 35 hours/week during summer and winter breaks (to be scheduled between the hours of 9am – 5pm, Monday – Friday).
Salary: $15 – $22/hr., contingent upon number of credits accrued in current degree program.
- Draft weekly social media posts for the Museum’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Track social media and website analytics and create detailed reports. Lead monthly social media committee meeting with key Museum staff members.
- Provide fast, helpful and efficient responses to external media enquiries with an awareness of media deadlines and knowledge of the Museum’s best interests
- Update program listings for media outlets
- Coordinate press-related photo shoots and interviews on Museum grounds
- Maintain and update the press contact database
- Research, write and distribute press releases and other media communications
- Help create bi-monthly e-blast with Museum news and events
- Assist in marketing/PR plans for various museum events that incorporate traditional techniques and new media in order to generate press and attendance
Email detailed cover letter, resume, and writing sample (1-3 pages) to TransitMuseumPress@nyct.com.